Sunday 10 August 2014

Whole School Literacy Developments

As part of my Assistant Headteacher role I am responsible for whole school literacy. As is the case in most schools this a tough nut to crack. I decided that some simple common approaches would be a good starting point. I created the the 'Failsworth School Literacy Key', a one stop document that could be used as a reference point for elements of literacy, such as homophones, connectives etc. This was particularly useful for teachers outside the English department. After trialling this in a range of subject areas I decided to role it out whole school. There are now double sided, laminated A3 copies in all classrooms to encourage the development of literacy. 
This was no quick fix by any means but was a good starting point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment